In this post i will explain you how to configure the ASA version 8 firewall in GNS3. Since GNS3 0.7.3 this only took me 5 minutes.
I assume you already have Qemu running.
- Start GNS3
- Open the menu, go to “Edit” then “Preferences”.
- Open the “Qemu” tab.
- Open the “ASA” tab.
- Select the “Initrd” file. The filename I used was “asa802-k8.initrd.gz”. Press Open.
- Select the “Kernel” file. The filename I used was “asa802-k8.kernel”. Press Open.
- Hit the “Save” button. Press “Ok”.
- Click and drag an ASA Firewall to your topology screen and press the “Start” button.
- Minimze your Qemu screen (don’t close it).
- Press the “Console” button.
After it’s done booting wait about 1 minute then type in the following:
- Voila! you have a running ASA 8 Firewall in GNS3.
That’s all there is to it! Thanks to CCNA Tools for the information, this is where i found the explanation to do this.
Now the only thing left to do is make sure we have ASA labs here at GNS3Vault. I’m more of a routing & switching guy so if you have anything to share…please do!